* Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase something from that affiliate link, I will get a commission. I only recommend items that I use in my own business.
As you probably know, Facebook offers incredible opportunities for bloggers and businesses to showcase their content and services. With more than 1.8 billion people logging into Facebook daily (statistic 2016), there is a good chance that your ideal reader is on Facebook. Also, most people login to Facebook several times per day, making this one of my favorite places to promote my blog. .
I remember a few years ago when I was promoting content from one of my businesses on my Facebook fan page and how much engagement it drove. However, things are a little different now with Facebook’s new algorithm. So even with a massive Facebook following, a lot of your content will slip through the cracks and only be seen by a few.
This is frustrating.
Facebook always does new updates on their platform and changes their algorithms. If you want to be on top of the game on Facebook you need to be aware of some of those new updates.
1. Don't be overly promotional
After Facebook surveyed several of it users, they realized that most people wanted to see more posts of their friends instead of promotional posts. For this reason, Facebook decided to prioritize posts that will be more relevant for their users and showcase fewer promotional posts. If you are constantly promoting your blog or product, Facebook will reduce your reach considerably.
2. Schedule your posts through Facebook
Facebook does not like when you use a third party program. So instead of using another social media managing tool, use the built in Facebook scheduler. I also noticed that if you are using the Facebook build in scheduler too often, your Facebook reach might decline. Therefore, use only their scheduler when you know you will not be able to promote your content manually.
3. Upload video content directly
As mentioned, Facebook doesn't like when you share a link that sends people outside the platform. So upload your video directly to Facebook instead of leaving a Youtube link. You will get more viewers this way.
What to post?
So now that you know more about the new updates, you are probably wonder what how to get maximum engagement on this platform? Unfortunately, there is not one type of post you can use to gain a ton of engagement. If such a post existed, everyone would be talking about it already. Another important point is that every business is different, which means someone can share funny video and have a ton of engagement and another page can share the same video and have no engagement.
Instead, the key to success on your Facebook fan page is to mix things up: post a picture one day, a quote here, a video there, a blog post that you wrote or a blog post that you find interesting.
Identify which post has the most engagement and to post more of those on Facebook.
1. Mix thing up
- Share your own blog post: As I mentioned, Facebook reduces your reach if you share too many promotional posts. This includes your own blog posts, instead of just sharing a link to your website, write a few sentences on why you think this blog post might help your audience. Your followers are more likely to read this type of post and share it with their audience.
- Share other content using @tagname: This can be a great way to not only share valuable content to your followers but also be visible to other blog owners. When you tag their business page this will appear in their notifications. They might even decide to follow your Facebook page.
- Quote: A well-designed quote image can go viral. In fact, quote images usually have a much higher level of engagement than other types of posts.
- Ask a question: Of course, if you want more engagement on your Facebook page asking questions can be an excellent strategy.
- Fill in the blank post: This is something that I have done a couple of times on my Facebook page.
- Share a quick tip: On my Facebook page, I get the most reach when I share a quick tip. This can be a sentence or two that you can repurpose from your own blog post.
- Share industry news: Another great way to be seen as an expert in your field is to share the latest news about your industry.
- Personal video or picture: People love to see personal pictures or video. They like to see who's behind the blog. Share a picture of you on the weekend or behind the scene images.
- Create a small video tip: Videos are a great way to share your knowledge and to increase your reach.
- Share a funny video/picture: We don't have to be serious all the time. Share a funny picture or video that you think your audience will like.
- Facebook lives: Facebook lives are the new way to increase your followers.
If you need help promoting your blog on Facebook get my 30+ Facebook groups with their promo day so you never miss a chance to promote your blog.
2. Identify which post did well
Do you know what types of content your audience likes? You can easily find this information by using your Facebook Page Insights and clicking "posts". At the beginning of each month, I check my insights to see which posts performed the best. This gives me important information to create better content for the month to come. On my page, personal posts and tips are the most engaging type of content. When you find a post that does well, why not share the same content a couple of months later?
There are many different ways you can connect with your followers using Facebook. Hopefully, those ideas will give you a jump start. I recommend that you experiment and see what your audience likes and create a strategy around this.
I want to know what is your favorite thing about using Facebook, so please drop it in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you!
My recommended affiliate program for any new bloggers - ShareASale: ShareASale is an affiliate network with over 3900 programs that allows you to earn commissions. No matter your niche ShareASale have different programs to help you monetize your blog.
Come join the Facebook group.- Facebook group Monetize your passion: Monetize your passion is a free Facebook group full of awesome bloggers and online business owners that have one thing in common to grow their business and monetize their passion. Join the Facebook group to get more great tips and strategies to grow your blog.
Welcome, I'm Emilie Guerin. I help bloggers and online business monetize their passion using effective online marketing strategies. MORE ABOUT ME